I absolutely love Biscotti and these beauties are quickly becoming my favorite cookie. They taste amazing, are grain free, low in sugar, have a wonderful texture and are so easy to make. You can always make them sweeter by adding more Maple Syrup or using semi-sweet chocolate instead of dark.
Yields: 8 large Biscotti or 16 smaller cookies
- 1 1/3 cups Blanched Almond Flour (I like Wellbee's Superfine Almond Flour or Honeyville Almond Flour. Both can be purchased from Amazonsmile.com)
- 1/3 cup of Arrowroot Starch
- 1 Organic Egg Yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 3 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons brewed Espresso Coffee (I use Nespresso Decaffinato Intensio)
- 1/4 cup of Dark Chocolate Chips (I like Equal Exchange Organic Bittersweet 70%)
- 1 ½ - 2 ounces of White and/or Dark Chocolate for drizzling on top (I use Trader Joes, Swiss 72% Dark Chocolate bar and Green & Blacks Organic White Chocolate bar)
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour, salt, baking soda in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add in the Egg Yolk and pulse.
- Add in the Maple Syrup and extracts and pulse more until combined.
- Add in ¼ cup of the chocolate chips and quick pulse to just combine.
- Turn dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat lining.
- Form the dough into a 5 ½” x 10” rectangle with your hands or with a rolling pin. (You may need to wet your hands or the rolling pin to keep the dough from sticking).
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes turning pan once.
- Let cool for 15-30 minutes and cut out 8 bars. You can cut again down the middle to make 16 smaller cookies. Place back onto the lined baking sheet.
- Set the oven to 300F and re-bake for 15-17 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Let cookies cool for another 30 minutes, preferably over an hour.
- Melt the dark and white chocolate separately using a double boiler.
- Using a spoon or small spatula, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies or dip the biscotti partially into the melted chocolate.