Quinoa Chowder with Spinach and Potatoes
- ¾ cup Quinoa (rinsed well in a fine sieve/strainer to remove soapy substance)
- 2 Quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, preferably extra virgin
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seed
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2-3 small boiling Potatoes cut into ¼ inch cubes. (Peel them first if they are not organic)
- 1 bunch Scallions, including an inch of the greens, sliced into rounds.
- 3 or more cups baby Spinach
- 1/3 cup or more chopped Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Hot Chili Sauce (Sriracha Brand) to taste
- ¼ pound Feta Cheese, finely diced (we love Goat Cheese Feta)
- 1 hard-cooked Egg, chopped (Optional)
To make the soup:
- Put the Quinoa and 2 quarts water in a pot, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While it’s cooking dice the vegetables. Drain, saving the liquid. (Here's a quick tip: When it's time to add the quinoa water, pour the quinoa water through a strainer directly into the soup pot and leave the quinoa in it's own pot until later
- Heat the Olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add Garlic and cook 30 seconds
- Add Cumin seed and cook 30 seconds
- Add Salt and Potatoes and cook a few minutes, stirring frequently. Don’t let the garlic brown.
- Add the Quinoa water and ½ the Scallions and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes
- Add the Quinoa, Spinach and remaining Scallions and simmer for 3 more minutes
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Cilantro, Hot Sauce and Feta.
- Season with pepper and chopped egg (0ptional)