Green Asparagus is amazing in the springtime! The budding stalks are tender with a crisp mild flavor when eaten raw. Packed with vitamins and minerals, asparagus also contains Glutathione, an antioxidant that fights cellular free radical damage, is anti-inflammatory and can improve insulin secretion in Type 2 Diabetics. It is very low in calories, is wonderful roasted, stir-fried and in soups. This recipe is deliciously simple with only 4 ingredients and cooks in 10 minutes.
- 1 pound Asparagus spears. Trim away the tough wooden bottom.
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth (Favorites are: Imagine Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth)
- 2 cups diced organic Potatoes (Red, White or Russet)
- 1/2 cup chopped Scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Swirl of cream (optional)
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces separating the tips from the stalk pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to boil and add the asparagus tips and blanch for 1-2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the stock, add the potatoes, asparagus and scallions. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and add in the asparagus tips.