Quinoa Chowder with Spinach and Potatoes
This is probably our favorite soup, we eat this monthly all year round. It is simple to make and totally delicious. When we serve this at parties our guests always want the recipe.
To make the soup:
- ¾ cup Quinoa (rinsed well in a fine sieve/strainer to remove soapy substance)
- 2 Quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, preferably extra virgin
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seed
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2-3 small boiling Potatoes cut into ¼ inch cubes. (Peel them first if they are not organic)
- 1 bunch Scallions, including an inch of the greens, sliced into rounds.
- 3 or more cups baby Spinach
- 1/3 cup or more chopped Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Hot Chili Sauce (Sriracha Brand) to taste
- ¼ pound Feta Cheese, finely diced (we love Goat Cheese Feta)
- 1 hard-cooked Egg, chopped (Optional)
To make the soup:
- Put the Quinoa and 2 quarts water in a pot, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While it’s cooking dice the vegetables. Drain, saving the liquid. (Here's a quick tip: When it's time to add the quinoa water, pour the quinoa water through a strainer directly into the soup pot and leave the quinoa in it's own pot until later
- Heat the Olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add Garlic and cook 30 seconds
- Add Cumin seed and cook 30 seconds
- Add Salt and Potatoes and cook a few minutes, stirring frequently. Don’t let the garlic brown.
- Add the Quinoa water and ½ the Scallions and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes
- Add the Quinoa, Spinach and remaining Scallions and simmer for 3 more minutes
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Cilantro, Hot Sauce and Feta.
- Season with pepper and chopped egg (0ptional)